Locations
185 Results
-
Sous les Eglises
Sous les Eglises
Characteristic hotel in the heart of Beek, a village in the rural district of Ubbergen, home to m...
BEEK-UBBERGEN
Hotel -
Café Restaurant De Vink
Café Restaurant De Vink
Our restaurant is located in a stunning spot in the Ooijpolder. It features two terraces where yo...
OOIJ
Restaurant -
Sculpture ‘Near Miss’
Sculpture ‘Near Miss’Sculpture ‘Near Miss’
On 21 September 1944, a ‘Short Stirling MK 4’ took off from the British airfield at Fairford to supply the 1st Airborne Division stationed in Oosterbeek. The airdrop was successful, but on the return journey the four-engine transport aircraft was fired upon by a German fighter, which had initially been mistaken for an Allied aircraft. An emergency landing was unavoidable. Batenburg would have been struck by the burning aircraft had it not managed, at the very last moment, to make a belly landing on the River Maas. Thanks to the swift action of circus performers staying in Batenburg, three occupants were rescued. Conry Candler, who was among the victims, is buried in Batenburg cemetery. In 2003, the aircraft’s undercarriage was found near Dieden, on the opposite bank of the Meuse,
On 21 September 1944, a ‘Short Stirling MK 4’ took off from the British airfield at Fairford to s...
Batenburg
Routemedia -
Wijchen Mill
Wijchen MillWijchen Mill
During the Second World War, the municipality of Wijchen was home to many people in hiding. These included men conscripted for the Arbeitseinsatz, Jews, Allied soldiers who had been shot, and escaped prisoners of war. Miller Minus de Kleijn would warn the whole of Wijchen of an impending raid by setting the mill’s sails to a specific position. The mill thus played a very important role in protecting the people of Wijchen and those in hiding. During the war years, the Molenberg was the highest point in the area. From this spot, the people of Wijchen witnessed, amongst other things, the bombing of Nijmegen and saw the Allies land during Operation Market Garden. On the Molenberg stands a monument detailing the full story of the Wijchen Mill during the Second World War.
The mill played a very important role in protecting the people of Wijchen and those in hiding. Mi...
Wijchen
Routemedia -
Toonen Dekkers Grebbeberg
Toonen Dekkers GrebbebergToonen Dekkers Grebbeberg
This street is named after Sigbertus Toonen Dekkers, a resident of Balgoij, who was killed in action on the Grebbeberg on 13 May 1940 at the age of 35.
This street is named after Sigbertus Toonen Dekkers, a resident of Balgoij, who was killed in act...
Balgoij
Routemedia -
LaserQuest Nijmegen
LaserQuest Nijmegen
Our website provides all the information you need about the one and only laser game, LaserQuest,...
NIJMEGEN
Put-put -
Park Lingezegen
Park Lingezegen
Whether you are an avid birdwatcher, want to go for a walk with the dog, love going for a bike ri...
ELST GLD
Park/Garden -
Slijk-Ewijk Beach Park
Slijk-Ewijk Beach Park
Slijk-Ewijk Beach Park is a recreation area with lots of sunbathing areas and sandy beaches. The...
SLIJK-EWIJK
Recreation area -
Pater Sebald Lindersstraat
Pater Sebald LindersstraatPater Sebald Lindersstraat
Father Sebald Linders, a Friar Minor born in Mook, was a follower of St Francis, but not a contemporary like all the other followers of the Saint of Assisi or St Clare who had streets named after them in Alverna. Father Sebald Linders owed this honour to his work in the Resistance. The friar, who did not shy away from taking up arms when necessary, and whose main contribution lay in sheltering Jewish children, was betrayed and shot by the Germans in Vught at the age of 37. On Wednesday 9 September 2015, Father Sebald Linders will be posthumously awarded the Yad Vashem ‘Righteous Among the Nations’ honour.
The priest, who did not shy away from taking up arms when necessary, and whose main achievement w...
Wijchen
Routemedia -
Wijchen Peace Monument
Wijchen Peace MonumentWijchen Peace Monument
‘To all those who gave their lives for peace, wherever in the world.’ This is the inscription on this monument, which commemorates the suffering caused by all wars. The monument was designed by Henk Scheffer, a resident of Wijchen, to mark the 40th anniversary of Wijchen’s liberation. On Saturday 8 September 1984, the Queen’s Commissioner for Gelderland, Mr De Bruijne, came to Wijchen to unveil the memorial. Commemorative events are held at the monument, including the commemoration of the liberation of Wijchen and the surrounding area on 17 September. The monument is also intended as a warning against the rise of fascism and racism. The white concrete column symbolises ‘good’. The shields, made of hot-dip galvanised steel, symbolise evil. Evil attempts to penetrate good, seeking to destroy it, but is repelled because good ultimately has greater strength.
‘To all those who gave their lives for peace, wherever in the world.’ These are the words inscrib...
Wijchen
Routemedia -
William Kalka
William KalkaWilliam Kalka
The monument to William Kalka tells the story of his tragic death. It symbolises the lives lost during the Second World War whilst fighting for freedom.
The monument to William Kalka tells the story of his tragic death. It symbolises the lives lost d...
Balgoij
Routemedia -
Rijndijk and Engineers Monument: the crossing of the Rhine
Rijndijk and Engineers Monument: the crossing of the Rhine
This location - situated opposite the village of Oosterbeek - played an important role in both th...
Driel
Sight -
B&B De Knechtenkamer
B&B De Knechtenkamer
No Translation
PUIFLIJK
Bed and breakfast -
Landgoed Brakkesteyn
Landgoed Brakkesteyn
Landgoed Brakkesteyn country estate is Nijmegen’s grandest city-centre park and offers endless po...
Nijmegen
Restaurant -
Hotel & Bungalowpark de Zeven Heuvelen
Hotel & Bungalowpark de Zeven Heuvelen
De Zeven Heuvelen ('The Seven Hills') Hotel & Bungalow Park is located amongst the beautiful...
GROESBEEK
Tourist Information pillar -
Former home of Mayor Luske
Former home of Mayor LuskeFormer home of Mayor Luske
Jacques J.C.M. Luske was the mayor of Bergharen during the Second World War. Luske regularly protested against the German authorities and actively helped to protect people in hiding. During a raid, a number of people in hiding were arrested; after being tortured, they admitted that Luske had helped them go into hiding. On 6 March 1944, Luske was arrested by the Germans. He was eventually sent to Neuengamme concentration camp near Hamburg, where he died on 27 December 1944. Luske was 43 years old.
Jacques J.C.M. Luske was the mayor of Bergharen during the Second World War. Luske regularly prot...
Bergharen
Routemedia -
Bed & Breakfast Farmhouse de Loksheuvel
Bed & Breakfast Farmhouse de Loksheuvel
Luxurious Bed and Breakfast situated in a beautifully restored 18th-century farmhouse. Two luxuri...
OVERASSELT
Bed and breakfast -
Omnivents
Omnivents
Omnivents organises sports and adventurous events.
VALBURG
Restaurant -
LUX Nijmegen
LUX Nijmegen
LUX: the largest art-house cinema in the Netherlands with a diverse and interesting programme. Ni...
NIJMEGEN
Restaurant -
One Bridge Too Many
One Bridge Too ManyOne Bridge Too Many
Eight people lost their lives in Niftrik during the Second World War. One soldier was killed in action on the Grebbeberg during the May days of 1940. Seven people were killed in the bombing raid on 1 September 1944 near the railway bridge at Niftrik. Fifteen houses and the church were also set alight on the orders of the Dutch army, as the area had to be cleared of cover for the troops.
A war memorial near Niftrik
Niftrik
Routemedia -
Hotel 't Spijker
Hotel 't Spijker
Hotel-restaurant ’t Spijker is a uniquely situated and stylish family hotel. The friendliness and...
BEEK-UBBERGEN
Restaurant -
HCR De Oude Molen
HCR De Oude Molen
Warm and friendly family hotel featuring 13 spacious attractive rooms, most with TV and private b...
GROESBEEK
Restaurant -
Dolfijn Mook
Dolfijn Mook
Dolfijn Water Sports and Recreation in Mook (near Nijmegen) is the ideal place for an active and...
MOOK
Aquatic sport -
The monument at Plac Polski and the annual commemorations in Driel
The monument at Plac Polski and the annual commemorations in Driel
On September 21st 1946, a sober monument was unveiled to commemorate the events of two years earl...
Driel
Sight